Story Hour Shawl
The Story Hour Shawl is a boomerang-style shawl that begins at the narrow end and grows ever larger as you continue through the mosaic and eyelet stitch patterns. It highlights a collection of mini-skeins inspired by beloved childhood tales and dyed by Mary Beth and Helen of Toad Hollow Yarns. Perfect for allowing you to knit some favorite stories into a wearable piece of art.
Of all the patterns in the Tales of Childhood Collection, this shawl is the second easiest to make (the Chapter by Chapter Cap is the easiest). It can still be tricky thanks to some of the lesser known stitches. I’ve linked photo tutorials in the pattern’s Stitch Guide to help you out should you need them.
I would love to see your project & yarn plans! Use #TalesofChildhoodCollection or @yumiyarns on social media so I can find it or stop by the Ravelry group & join in the discussion.
I’ve provided different gauges for the different stitch patterns. Depending on your knitting style, you may need go up to a US 6 (4.0 mm) for the mosaic section. Even though this isn’t a fitted garment, you will be happier with your fabric if you swatch a bit first for this pattern.
This pattern has been test knit and tech edited.
(Thanks, Sue-Cat & test knitters!)
49” x 17.5” / 125 x 45 cm (68” x 24” / 173 x 61 cm)
(all in fingering-weight)
- MC - Approx 400 - 670 yds (365 - 613 m)
- CC1 - Approx 20 yds (19 m)
- CC2 - Approx 40 yds (37 m)
- CC3 - Approx 40 yds (37 m)
- CC4 - Approx 40 yds (37 m)
- CC5 (Large size only) – Approx 50 yds (46 m)
- CC6 (Large size only) – Approx 25 yds (23 m)
Large Sample Used:
Toad Hollow Yarns Sock Toad - 80/20 Merino/Nylon - 400 yds (365 m) / 100 g
- MC (pink): Mawwiage - 151g
- CC1 (grey): Specter - 4g
- CC2 (blue): Hanging the Stars - 9g
- CC3 (purple): Susan - 9g
- CC4 (green-blue): Moonstone - 9g
- CC5 (variegated): Christmas at Hogwarts - 11g
- CC6 (green): Mr. Carrisford - 5g
- US 3 (3.25 mm) Circular Needles (straights will not work) or size to obtain gauge
- US 5 (3.75 mm) Circular Needles (straights will not work) or size to obtain gauge
- Stitch Markers
- Tapestry Needle
- 29 sts x 27 rows / 4” (10 cm) with smaller needles in ToC Eyelet Pattern, blocked
- 38 sts x 52 rows / 4” (10 cm) with larger needles in ToC Mosaic Pattern, blocked
(tutorials are linked)
Digital Download & Copyright Info
This pattern will arrive as downloadable PDF through a link that will be emailed to the address you provide at check-out. This is for personal use only, not for print or distribution without prior consent from the author. Link will expire after 30 days, please contact me if you need a refreshed link.
If you would like to use this pattern as a teaching resource, please contact me at Shaina@yumiyarns.com so we can discuss options.
Wholesale inquiries are welcome.
If you would like a copy for your Ravelry library, you can get it directly from my Ravelry pattern shop.